Thursday, April 27, 2017

New Set of Wheels



After my misstep in Germany resulting in my broken ankle, I insisted that we were continuing as planned.  I was not allowed to put any weight on my left leg and I was having a difficult time of it trying to get around with the crutches, so had been crawling with my foot up or hopping around in Lauren's apartment.  The wheelchair at the airport made life much easier and we determined that we would find one when we arrived in London or we wouldn't get very far. Thanks to our eldest daughter having T-Mobile, and it being a German company, her coverage was excellent and she and Jim headed down the street as I parked on a bench.  They returned with a lightweight wheelchair that I was now the proud owner of.  Now we were on a roll!  We rolled on and off the red bus tour of the city sites and took a Thames river cruise.
We flew to the Isle of Man and rolled all over the beautiful island.  We rolled back through airports to Germany and then to the states.  I'm sure we made an interesting sight many times as we maneuvered through small doorways, around tight corners, pushing a luggage cart while Jim pushed me or me hanging on to the cart handle to be pulled along with the luggage.  There were places that I just had to get out and crawl up some stairs to where I wanted to get to.  The stares of strangers were not a deterrence...I had places to get to...often the bathroom situated up some stairs.
My new set of wheels doesn't require insurance, no operating license and no speed limit.  I'm getting pretty good at rolling myself around, but it will be nice when I can hoof it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment