Thursday, April 27, 2017

Got the Krank?

My favorite new foreign word became "krank" during our trip to Germany.  On our second day of exploring sites, I missed a small step, went down, and was pretty sure I had broken something because of the "snapping" noise, the searing pain and immediate swelling.  We had to drive an hour or so back to the town our daughter was living in where she knew there was a hospital.  As we drove up to the looming building on a hill, I saw the sign that said "krankenhaus"  which Lauren translated as "sick house".  So logical!  No explanation needed.  Lauren fluently got us admitted and filled out the paperwork and stayed by my side as translator and comforter.  The x-rays confirmed my diagnosis of a fracture.  I left the "krankenhouse" with an air cast, crutches, and a new word to add to my German vocabulary.  Next time you are under the weather, tell someone you've got the krank.

No comments:

Post a Comment