Thursday, August 27, 2015

Is Your GPS Making You Stupid?

Those GPS devices or mapping apps can be quite helpful, unless they tell you to drive off a cliff to get to your destination.  When Jim and I were in Germany last year, our GPS led us off road, but thanks to Jim's sense of direction found an alternative route to get us where we needed to go, no thanks to modern technology.
We find it amusing and somewhat alarming, when people stop at our lodge and insist that this must be where they are lodging because their GPS directed them here.  Just yesterday, as I was out emptying trash, a car pulled up to me and asked if this was the motel.  This was a new one!  I wanted to ask him if this looked like a motel, but I bridled my tongue and asked him where they had reservations.  They were supposed to check in with Kevin.  No Kevin here.  Finally, the wife, face glued to her GPS, said they were looking for the Greer Lodge check in and this MUST be it because her device told her so.  I lost a bit of tethering on my tongue and responded that this was the White Mountain Lodge, just as the large sign says, pointing to the huge sign they passed driving on to the property.  I instructed the driver how to get to their destination while the navigator continued staring at her device that could not be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment