Sunday, June 7, 2015



I have a sketchy record with plants.  If they have an automatic watering system they are happy plants. The flowers in tree wells and beds with sprinklers thrived.  Every year in Phoenix I would buy beautiful flowers to plant in my window planters with no sprinklers and they thrived for a few weeks, because they were being watered  regularly by either Jim or me.  Then, nobody was watering them, each of us assuming the other one was.  Like the Miracle Gro ad I totally relate to....plants came to my home to die.  The last couple of years in Phoenix I bought fake flowers to put out.
At the lodge I've been envisioning lovely landscaping. In May, I planted bulbs and some lovely day lilies in a planter.  The bulbs were duds and the deer ate my lilies.  The other day, I bought new flowers for all the barrels around the lodge.  Hayley, who is staying with us for the summer and helping around the lodge, has been given the task of checking on all the new plants and keeping them watered.  She has also talked with them, to assure them that they have come to a good home and charged them to bloom and grow.  She is my plant whisperer, healing them from their distress when they saw me at the garden store.  They feared for their lives, and rightly so with my track record.  I think I saw them shudder as I put them in my cart.
I hope to turn over a new leaf and not let them die.  Hayley is going to be gone for a couple of weeks. Say a prayer for the plants and feel free to text me to ask me if I have watered them.

No comments:

Post a Comment