Saturday, September 19, 2015

On the Roof

One of the many projects on my to-do list at the lodge is sanding down and staining the weathered wood.  This week I got up on the roof and spent two days sanding the wood on the second floor and one day staining and washing windows, since I was already up there.  Day two it got pretty windy and when I decided I needed a break to use the facilities, get a snack and fluids, I discovered my ladder had blown over. Jim was in the office downstairs on the opposite side of where I was working and the wind just carried my voice away.  I tried calling the dog...no response.  I wondered if I could jump down on the lawn without breaking anything and decided not to try.
When you are stuck on a roof you think about a lot of things....will my bladder hold out?...should I put Poise pads on my shopping list for roof work?...I wonder if we have to pee in heaven or maybe we just can go any place we want to, like my puppy or maybe it just won't matter...maybe I need to put a message on Jim's phone to check on his wife hourly when she's on the roof...wow, what a great view up here...I should come up here more often...great clouds...the tops of the trees are beginning to change color... The Lord had mercy on me, my bladder held out, and I went back to work until Jim came out and noticed the ladder down.
The next roof outing I took up a bucket with a bottle of iced water and my cell phone.  This time, I could call Jim and if all else failed I had a bucket.

2 comments: